Eight Bells

If you enjoy this blog please leave a comment, if there is something you would like to see feel free to make a request and don't forget to use the search function.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Leftovers

Tonight we are having leftover cannelloni so instead of talking food I thought I'd talk about something that I used to believe but no longer do.
I used to believe that we lived in uninteresting times. The industrial revolution had come before I was born. The personal computer, nuclear power and a man on the moon are all now just a fact of life. Lately however I have had to rethink. When I was young I wished I had been born in say the year 20000. I could picture it all. Teleportation would be old hat, inter stellar travel...yawn and downloading my conciousness in to an everlasting super powerful android body would cost $29.95 and come with a free set of steak knives. Recently however I have had to reassess my position. The two main reasons for this reassessment are peak oil and global warming
I have for some time believed that the effects that these crises will have on our society and the speed at which the effects will be felt have been underestimated. I no longer believe that. Now I think they are vastly underestimated. Make no mistake the next 30 years of our lives will be some of the most interesting years in the history of mankind and I don't mean that in a good way. There is no point me going in to details regarding the facts and falsehoods of oil and greenhouse. There are a billion words already written propounding every point of view that it is possible to take. Sufffice it to say that we're in trouble. Make up your own mind but in the end it won't really matter. It's all going to happen a lot quicker than anyone could have imagined and most of it is going to be bad.
On a lighter note I am told that I will soon be able to grow pineapples in my garden. Here's dinner.

1 Comments:

At 11:44 am, Blogger ChefNick said...

I want to download my consciousness into an everlasting android body!!! For the free steak knives! What a deal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home