Eight Bells

If you enjoy this blog please leave a comment, if there is something you would like to see feel free to make a request and don't forget to use the search function.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Quesadilla

I have posted a quesadilla recipe before here and this is just a variation on the theme.
Quesadilla are great, once you have the basics in place you can pretty much use whatever you have on hand. When I went to find corn kernels in the pantry I didnt have any so I substituted chilli beans! I know, you must be as excited as I am about that. What can I say? I like living life on the edge. Oh and for the extremely observant the picture below is from the last time we did quesadilla. They are so delicious and I was in such a hurry to eat them that I forgot to take a photograph. Oh man I am lolling, as I'm sure you are too. Here is what the wonderful Wikipedia has to say on the subject. The recipe below will make 4 quesadilla.



1 Old El Paso Mexican chargrilled fajita kit (sure you could make it all from scratch but seriously do you have the time?)
1 medium onion, diced
350g of rump steak, finely cubed (less than 1cm square)
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tin of chilli beans
1 red capsicum, finely diced
1 large courgette, finely diced
1 large tomato, diced
Fresh red chilli (optional)
Grated cheese
Salt & pepper

Cook the onion in a little oil and when it starts to soften add the steak and brown. Once browned add the fajita seasoning from the fajita kit and stir well to coat the meat and onions. Preheat your oven to 170C.
Add the tin of tomatoes and the chilli beans and as much finely chopped fresh red chilli as you like (if using it) and cook on a low heat for approx 20-30 mins until reduced. Once the mix is the right consistency so that it won't run off the tortilla add the tomato, capsicum and courgette. Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary. Cook until the vegetables are done.
Once the mixture is ready place your tortillas on an oven tray (baking paper on the oven tray will help) and spread a thick layer of the meat and vegetable mixture on the tortillas. Add grated cheese and place a tortilla on top. Place in the oven for around 10-15 mins until the tortillas just start to turn brown. Remove from the oven and serve with sour cream and the Mexican salsa from the fajita kit. Viva Mexico!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home